This course equips the participant with the basics of the Groovy language and the use of the Grails framework as applied to Higher Education using Banner 9 technology. It also introduces the practical concepts used when working with Banner 9 web page development. This course uses hands-on exercises throughout the entire session. It is designed as the prerequisite course immediately prior to the Banner Technical: Extending Banner 9 Admin Apps course and the Banner Technical: Extending Banner 9 Self-Service Apps course. It prepares the technology professional to achieve the skills necessary for modifying Banner 9 code, laying the groundwork by providing the technical language and framework usage knowledge using an IDE (Integrated Development Environment).
Audience: Technical professionals who are or will be working with Banner using the Banner 9 technology environment.
- Introduction to the Banner 9 technology stack used with Banner Apps.
- The MVC Model and how it pertains to Banner 9 apps, both Admin pages and SSB pages
- Object-Oriented concepts review, and how OO is implemented with Groovy
- Classes and objects, constructors
- Groovy language structure and syntax, programming logic
- Groovy types, Gstrings, operators, date and numeric processing
- Collections – focusing on Lists and Maps
- Groovy beans
- File I/O
- XML processing
- The Grails framework – Hello World
- The use of the IDE with Groovy and Grails
- Some experience using Banner or hands-on review of the Banner Navigation User’s Guide. Also, some working knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL is needed. Completion of the Java/OOP course or equivalent experience is required.